THE MODERN PARLANCE BLOG NETWORK
- Fabulous Foodie: Where food and food culture are served up a la carte. This culinary blog, established in 2006, focuses on food, food history, food trivia and the connection between food and the world at large. We manage, design and write for the blog as well as edit pieces of contributing authors. Visit Fabulous Foodie itself, check out the culinary chat on the Fabulous Foodie Facebook group, follow Fabulous Foodie on Twitter or browse the Fabulous Foodie youtube playlist.
- Greater Gotham Goes Global: Tales of a New Yorker turned loose on the world. This was where the blogs of Modern Parlance really began – years of blogging came together with even more years living in one of the greatest cities on earth and a love of travel.
- The Banburian: Exploring Banbury and the surrounding areas. No matter what you think you know about Banbury, there’s always something the surprise you. For local tweets of interest, follow The Banburian on Twitter.
- Personal Parlance: As a content professional and word-smithing fiend of some repute, Deborah has worked on and seen the publishing business, the marketing landscape and media world evolve and change dramatically over the past 25 years. At Personal Parlance, that comes together with a wide-ranging interest in all things publishing, books, communication, indexing, writing, education – and anything else that catches her eye.
OUR CURRENT TITLES
- Drowning the Silence: A story about breaking up and bouncing back. Every break up has a soundtrack – bits of songs, that voice in your head, advice from others and all sorts of other sounds. In Dan’s case, the soundtrack features Johnny Mathis, family and friends and – underneath it all, The Silence.
- Characters of Shakespeare’s Plays: This new edition of William Hazlitt’s Characters of Shakespeare’s Plays includes the original 1817 text as well as a selection of paintings, engravings and sketches of Shakespearean characters from the mid-18th to early 20th century. Notes on the illustrations are intended not only for clarification but also serve as a helpful and interesting guide to the treasure trove of imagery we have of the remarkable characters Hazlitt examines in such detail.
- New York Magician: Michel Wibert knows New York City better than most. He knows about the magic that crackles above the rooftops and beneath the streets. He knows about the creatures and beings – considered mythical to most and gods to some – playing their long and complicated game across the city. Until recently, he’s kept to the sidelines – watching their moves, keeping their secrets. But now things have shifted and it’s not clear whether he’s player or pawn. If he wants to survive, he’ll need to decide which is his true role.
- Spacelore: Wherever you find people, you will find stories. Stories of triumph and loss, of pain and joy, of caution and adventure. To find them, you must seek out the places where tales are told. These are the tales you might hear if you found yourself in a space traveler’s bar.
MODERN PARLANCE PHOTOGRAPHY
We source images and photos for our projects from a number of well-respected and reputable sources but whenever and where ever possible, we like to use our own work. To that end, we have established a number of collections and are adding more all the time. These images are suitable for use in ebooks, blogs, social media updates – any sort of digital publication – and we are happy to make them available for use by others upon agreement of terms. Obviously, we make frequent use of the pictures across our own blog network but our intrepid photographer has had his work used by BBC Oxford, Banbury Cake, Banburyshire Info and by a number of local businesses and organisations. Visit the Modern Parlance photography page to see samples, follow Modern Parlance Photography on Twitter or visit the Modern Parlance Photogrpahy galleries on Flickr. If you’re interested in a particular image or set of images, please contact us for details.